We made sure upgrading is as painless as possible. Normally, it entails uploading the software and follow through the wizard and entering the new license key, if any. Revindex Storefront will automatically detect the running version and perform the necessary upgrade retaining your settings. However, we would like to share some best practices you should follow.
- If you're upgrading to a new major version (e.g. upgrade from version 7.1 to 8.0), verify that your license key is valid for the new version. Contact Revindex sales if you have any questions about your license key.
- Read the Release notes for any requirement or breaking changes introduced in the new version of the software. In particular, you should pay attention to the following points before upgrading:
- Any obsolete base display templates that have been removed from the new software, usually base display templates older than 1 year. The older the base template, the smaller the version number (e.g. Standard1, Standard2). Any custom display templates using these very old base display templates will need to be recreated or merged to a higher base version. Please see How to upgrade display templates for more information.
- Any CSS style and class name changes if you're customizing the look-and-feel by overriding the style classes that are included with the Storefront.
- If you're using the Revindex Storefront API, make sure you test the upgrade on a development machine first before upgrading the production site to ensure your API calls work correctly.
- Take a complete backup of your system.
- Go to Settings > Extensions.
- Click on Install Extension.
- Upload the Revindex.Dnn.RevindexStorefront.XX.XX.XX.zip package and follow the install wizard instruction. If you are installing the production software over the existing Trial edition, select "Repair Install" checkbox when prompted.
- If Revindex issued you a new license key, make sure to delete the old license key and enter the new one. Please see License key for more information.
- Perform spot tests and verify any customizations you previously made continue to work.
- If you're upgrading from a release older than v16.10 you may want to install the free Revindex Standard theme. This step is optional but highly recommended. Repeat step 4 above and install the RevindexStandard.XX.XX.XX.zip theme. This is a special purpose built skin that will optimize the Storefront Administration page making it easier to use in full screen. This theme should only be set for the page where the Storefront Administration module resides. You may skip this step if you already have this latest theme installed in your system.
For more information, please read the How to upgrade a DNN module or the importance of backing up blog.
If you're running tests on a development/staging machine with production data copied over and you sell recurring products, make sure to disable any recurring orders or change the payment gateway credentials, otherwise it will automatically charge your customer's credit card when the order is due for renewal.