Before you start inserting new products, we recommend that you first create a few sample products in your Storefront through the normal administrative interface. Then follow the steps to export out the product file to see what the data looks like. See Export products for more information.
- You will need to build your product CSV file according to the product file format specification. The best way is to open a previously exported CSV file using Excel (you may also use Notepad or any text editor).
- The first row is the header row and needs to match the column names according to the entity file format.
- Start entering data into the next row. Pay attention to the required columns. Even if a column is indicated as not data required, the column must still be present but the value may be blank.
- Make sure the Act column value is set to "i" for insert.
- You can leave the database object identifier ProductID empty since this will be auto-generated by your database.
- Enter a memorable unique ProductKey for this product (e.g. "apple-ipad"). It will be useful when you need to reference it elsewhere in your other imports by key name instead of by its ID number.
- Fill up the remaining required fields like Name, etc.
- Repeat steps 3 to 7 for additional products you want to insert.
- Save the file. Click Yes if Excel prompts you to save the file with features that are not compatible with CSV and keeping this format.
- Go to the Catalog > Products page. Click Import.
- Choose the options.
- Click Import.
- Make sure there are no errors. If any error occurred, the system will rollback any changes by default. Correct any error and re-import again.
You will want to repeat the similar steps at least for the Product variant and any related entities such as Gallery, Product Category, etc.