The following steps below are typical of how a customer progresses from browsing to completing a purchase. Every business is different and the actual steps may vary.
- Customer views products page and/or product detail page.
- System generates calculates price, apply any promotion and verifies product availability.
- Customer adds product to cart.
- System verifies order and approximates sub-total before shipping/handling cost and taxes.
- Customer proceeds to checkout.
- System prompts customer to login, register or checkout as guest user.
- Customer enters billing, shipping information.
- System determines the available shipping methods.
- Customer selects the desired shipping method.
- Customer enters coupon.
- System verifies order; apply discounts, shipping cost, handling cost and taxes before calculating final total.
- Customer reviews final total and enters voucher and payment information.
- Customer places order.
- System validates order. If order is invalid, customer is redirected back to checkout page.
- System processes payment. If payment fails, customer is redirected back to checkout page.
- System saves the order and payment information.
Order Status = Ordered
Payment Status = Pending
Shipping Status = Not Required/Not Shipped
For a purchase order, the Order Status will be set to Pending since no payment is actually collected.
- System decrements product & coupon inventory. For a purchase order, the product and coupon inventories are unchanged since no actual order has taken place.
- If the Configuration > Checkout has the Run action on checkout option selected, the system will automatically run the place order action rule (e.g. grant security role, execute Web request).
- System generates confirmation details and sends out notification to customer and Storefront administrator.
- Customer views the confirmation page and receives receipt.